m

We added a few new HP systems to our hosting platform today and during the build process came across an odd error when trying to provision some local datastores. In short the servers have HP P410i SmartArray controllers which we’d configured to run a RAID10.

As soon as we’d try to create a store we’d get the below error pop up:

vmware_dstore_error

Call “HostDatastoreSystem.QueryVmfsDatastoreCreateOptions” for object “ha-datastoresystem” on ESXi “host ip” failed.

Turns out the HP controller hadn’t initialized the array or written any data to it, so it had some GPT type partitions which VMware couldn’t write to (from what I can understand anyway!). Fortunately we were able to use partedUtil to resolve this –

  1. Within the vSphere client under Configuration – Security Profile start the ESXi Shell and SSH services
  2. Use a terminal program of your choice (e.g. Putty or XShell) and connect to the ESXi server
  3. Find the Disk ID for the array (cd /dev/disks then ls)
  4. Run the following command to partition them –
    partedUtil mklabel /dev/disks/diskid msdos
  5. All Done!

Original article that helped us along is HERE

6 comments

  1. 06/03/2016 at 12:19 AM Allan

    Hello friend! I have with this problem, but esxi server finds the disc and but not vmfs. If I run this command it will work in my case? This command deletes the data?

  2. 17/03/2016 at 12:26 AM Michael

    Thanks, this really helped me. Had a new ESXi 6.0 U2 install and the web UI kept crashing every time I tried to create a datastore. So, then I tried it using the Vsphere client and finally got an error I would work with. At that point I recognized the problem was the disk itself…which led me here. You made my day!

  3. 01/02/2017 at 7:37 PM jimmy

    worked for me the best on esxi 5.5 ! Thank you!

  4. 31/05/2017 at 3:00 PM Juliano Flores

    Thanks a lot! It works perfectly for us using ESXi 6.5.

  5. 05/12/2017 at 5:26 AM jgh

    Thanks a lot!!! it was Very Usfull

  6. 22/12/2017 at 2:27 PM baggy004

    Thanks. Had the same problem after removing some drives from RAID 10 and moving the to RAID1