If like me you’re trying to install the SQL Service Pack 4 (KB948119) via Microsoft Update and it fails (without any obvious error) then here’s a possible fix. I’ve found one reason may be if the MSSQL$SBSMONITORING service isn’t running – at least this was the case for me when it failed on various Windows Small Business Servers.
1) Go to Start – Run – type in Services.msc
2) Look for the MSSQL$SBSMONITORING service
3) If this is stopped or disabled then double click the service name to bring the properties window up
4) Within the properties either start the service or set it’s startup type to Automatic and then start the service
5) Retry the Microsoft Update