Out of habbit I generally update standalone ESXi boxes via the VMware CLI. I thought today I would make use of PowerCLI and note my steps for reference.
Download Required VMware Patches:
Download VMware PowerCLI:
Optional – Download PowerShell 2.0 (Only if XP/Vista):
Once PowerCLI is installed open via Program Files – VMware vSphere PowerCLI.
- Connect to the Server via PowerCLI – “Connect-VIServer ipaddress“
- Place the Standalone host into Maintenance mode – “Set-VMHost -VMHost ipaddress -State Maintenance”
- Extract the patch file data from the downloaded zip (e.g. ESXi510-201212001.zip)
- Upload the extracted content to a folder on the ESXi datastore
- Patch the Host – “Install-VMHostPatch -VMHost ipaddress -HostPath /vmfs/volumes/datastorename/folder/metadata.zip”
- Reboot the Host to complete the install
- Exit Maintenance mode