After installing Symantec Backup Exec 12.5 and setting the services to run under a newly created Active Directory account, we found that when trying to create a backup selection list the resources box was blank. The following error was seen:
Connection with server Failed. Hit <F5> to refresh.
This was due to the service account missing appropriate permissions. After running through this Symantec article to ensure all the requirements were on the account, we also needed to amend a Group Policy allowing the service account “Log on as Batch Job” rights.
To do this check the below:
- Load up Group Policy Management (Start – Run – gpmc.msc)
- Edit the Default Domain Controllers Policy
- Browse to Computer Configuration – Policies – Windows Settings – Security Settings – Local Policies – Users Rights Assignments
- Edit the “Log on as a Batch Job” policy
- Add the appropriate Service Account